Monday, May 4, 2009

Sitges

Our week in Sitges was so fun! It was so nice to see familiar faces and to be so welcomed by Julia's family and friends. It was great to be able to relax after a lot of wwoofing and hosteling and I found that the town quickly felt familiar. We did a lot of eating, suntanning, shopping, walking, and hanging out. Downtown Sitges is fairly small and easily walkable. My favourite store in town was Casablanca which was filled with pieces that were hand detailed, beaded and embroidered. They played early Billie Holiday tunes on a loop too - it was bliss. I spent a lot of time in there with a very patient shopkeeper and ended up getting my outfit for the wedding that Jules has posted. Some other highlights:

A shot from the train from Barcelona to Sitges.

Jules waiting out the rain before trekking downtown.

When we first opened the door to our room in the apartment we just laughed - it was such a treat to stay in a place so beautiful.

Yep, that's a chandelier in the bedroom.

The view from the living room to the balcony.


Our breakfast tended to look like this.
The beaches of Sitges.



The church.

The first time my toes touched the Mediterrannean. Yes, I'm a dork.
An example of Catalan. This plaque was in the wall next to a canon outside of the church area.
This is the pathway that runs the length of the beach.

Along the beach this group of kids sang Spanish folk songs and played guitar together really softly. It was sweet.
The Three Carneys of Frigid Waters.
After the jump.
This guy was awesome. He made really intricate and realistic sand sculptures and then camped next to them overnight to make sure nothing would happen to them. The dragon one was for St. Jordi (St. George's) day (April 23rd) , which is sort of like Valentines day in Spain - except the traditional things exchanged are roses and books. It's been declared International Day of the Book by UNESCO. Saint Jordi is the patron saint of Catalonia and you can read his story here.



A couple of hip cats.
What what!! When you order hot chocolate in Spain this is what you get. I don't think I can ever go back - this was delicious.
One of the many awesome restaurants we tried out. I ordered the curried rice and veggie dish - so good!

Unfortunately I don't have nearly as many great wedding shots as Jules. But here are a few.

The reception was held in the hills of Sitges - and man were they hilly. I took this picture level, the street was practically on a 45° angle.


Jules and Bill.
The view of Sitges from the reception.
Some of the gang chillin before Jules and I were catching our train back to Barcelona.
How I spent most of my time here.
With a liberal amount of this.
Love those palms!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, ze should (damn these french keyboards!) spend most of our time behind a cappucino or our own sundrenched feet more often? methinks. Also, it's come to my attention that I have entirely too much hair... it was like engulfing Uncle Bill in that one shot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linz..nice shots.. so many cute little towns...does it feel like you're trvelling trough a fairyland....miss scarborough yet???.......give it time....luv Dad